A 47 year old Female that works full time reception and presenting with severe Left shoulder pain with limited range of motion in shoulder flexion and shoulder abduction. Symptoms of pain and reduced shoulder range of motion occurred without known cause, patient claims that “it is probably coming from my desk job”. She has been suffering from shoulder pain and reduced range of motion for over 8 months and has noticed no improvements with any previous treatment that’s she had.
Frozen shoulder treatment.
Previous treatments included:
- Massage (3 massage therapists)
- IMS (intramuscular stimulation) (2 different practitioners)
- Myofascial Release (1 therapist)
She admits that she would often quit a treatment plan with any of her practitioners within 2-3 sessions based on her perception of “not improving”. She has been prescribed anti-depressant medication by her medical doctor to treat depression that is associated with her chronic shoulder pain.
All upper extremity DTR’s and myotomes WNL, Speed’s negative. Resisted shoulder abduction and flexion +3⁄5 on left, 5/5 on right. DDX ultrasound of left shoulder reveals calcific tendinitis of the left supraspinatus tendon, no other abnormal findings present. She has been referred to our clinic by her medical doctor as a “last try” treatment before surgery.
The Kinetisense system was used at each treatment, in some cases both pre and post treatment to track her progression in function over time.
How Kinetisense Affected This Case
- Improved patient compliance – The patient was impressed with the ability to track her improvements and admitted that she did not stick with previous treatments because there were home no ways to tell if there was improvement.
- As a practitioner I was able to maintain improvements and adjust treatment plan. In this case, I knew in a timely manner if my current treatment plan would succeed as she continued to improve.
- The Kinetisense system accounts for body position alterations and acquires “true” joint values, this allowed me to acquire accurate joint analysis even when my patient would try to compensate in movement.
- Automatic patient reporting within seconds with easy to read graphs allowed me to visually show the patient improvements and regressions both within and between appointments.
- Automatic practitioner reporting allows me to send updated progress reports to her referring doctor with the click of a button.
- Patient is under my care and continuing to improve.
- Patient has referred multiple family and friends to our office, partly due to Kinetisense analysis system.
- Patient is taking half the amount of antidepressant medications as advised by her medical practitioner.
- Patient has incorporated certain activities into her life that she was unable to do for 8+ months.
- MD who referred this patient to my office has referred me multiple patients, 2 of them being frozen shoulder cases. He is impressed with the Kinetisense system and its accuracy.